[Dailydrool] This & that, Voting

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:58:12 PDT 2011

It has been an interesting day....NOT! We took Ginger to the vets last
Friday for a recheck of her UTI and anal gland infection so they sent off a
urine specimen and her glands are fine. Told our vet that we have been a
little worried just because Ginger hasn't been acting like her normal self.
They gave her a real good once over and didn't find anything. Well, over the
weekend our girl developed a really nasty hot spot on her leg. She was
probably working on it last week and that's why she wasn't acting like
herself. In the meantime, Jersey has developed a nasty ear infection. It was
so bad on Saturday that I couldn't even touch her ear after I put the drops
in. So Jersey got a dose of Benadryl and Rimadyl along with the ear drops on
Saturday. Thank goodness Jersey is doing much better after a couple of days
of ear meds. I noticed her digging at her ear on Friday and have spent a
fair amount of time kicking myself for not paying more attention then. Today
I stopped at our vets to pick up a refill on the ear drops and find out
about the urine specimen that they sent off for Ginger the other day and
found out that Ginger has a lot of crystals in her urine and the white cell
count is on the high end of normal along with the acidity being low. We're
going to try and increase her fluid intake and start giving her vitamin C to
increase the acidity of her urine. I will keep close track of UTI symptoms
and am going to add some water to her kibble and encourage her to drink more
but I'm worried about the crystals. Have any of you run into this? We talked
about diet and our vet says the food we feed is good (the Houndettes are on
grain free Taste of the Wild salmon) so not to worry about diet at this
point other than to add some water to her kibble and the vitamin C. Any and
all suggestions would be very welcome!

Tybee is scheduled to have the pin removed from his leg on Wednesday. You
can tell that it's really bothering him now that he's allowed to do stairs
and play like a normal dog so I'm very anxious to get the pin out and have
him totally recover from this ordeal. I was so excited because a lovely
family had visited us and fallen in love with this sweet boy. Well, I got a
call from the family last week and the gentleman has been diagnosed with
bone cancer. Needless to say, Tybee will be staying with us. Our BaRCSE
adoption coordinator is terrific and will continue to look for another
family. In the meantime we'll pray that this gentleman recovers from such a
devastating diagnosis. I think it's going to be a few more weeks before Ty
will be ready to move on. It will all work out in the end.

Thank you all of you for your continued support of BaRCSE in the Shelter
Challenge! We are in first place by a very little bit so every vote counts.
I know we can win with all of your support!

Drool and prayers to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with foster boy Tybee