[Dailydrool] Overweight Dilemma

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:11:08 PDT 2011

Here's one for you:
One of my puppies-- Nigel and Llewis's littermate-- went to an experienced
Basset home.
I don't know what she weighs NOW, I haven't seen her for quite awhile, but
the last time I saw her she weighed 83 pounds.
EIGHTY THREE POUNDS for a Basset bitch!!!!!!!!
As long as I was the breeder and a friend, I went apes--t. I spoke
rationally, calmly about weight and backs and bloat and so on and they said
oh, she eats just a TINY bit.
I said have her thyroid tested oh they have, she eats just a TINY bit.
Finally I stuck my face in theirs and told them, you are killing this dog
and she is my puppy and I am not happy with you!
I could probably not have gotten away with this but Doc had been all over
them about the dog's weight. He said-- you bred that puppy--TALK TO THEM!
and I shrieked I HAVE!!

And I have. Over and over and over.
What do you do about this? I can't very well steal the puppy back. I have
told them repeatedly she needs to lose weight. I have made suggestions about
how. I have sent them information about foods and nutrition. They just don't
do anythng about it.Their other Basset is huge also. They feed and feed and
feed and don't exercise them. Of course they're fat, poor things.
I makes me sick, but I am without any recourse.
I thought it was a good home. (They say "She's a BIG Basset" and she is, in
fact--but she should not weigh what she does.)

By the way: I may be fat, but my dogs are not.)
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper