[Dailydrool] Weight and Tramadol

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Oct 20 06:08:59 PDT 2011

Thought I would chime in here.  First of all, the best thing that ever happened at our house was Greenie Pill Pockets.  Before I got Beauford I refused to buy them.  By golly, my bassets would just open their mouths and swallow their pills.  End of statement.  Well, Beauford has a tricky gag reflex.  Of course, I give him his daily antihistamines on a full stomach.  The third time I got his breakfast all over me, I dug out the samples the vet gave me for getting a new puppy.  The capsule size can be torn in half and flattened out so that each dog gets half a pill pocket.  I usually peruse amazon to see if any one has them on sale and if not I get them through KV Vet or Care-A-Lot Pets.  They run sales often and I stock up.  Tramadol is very bitter, but no where near as bad as prednisone!

Weight.  The dogs may not be able to get into the pantry and steal food, but they can walk out the back door and eat hazel nuts!  It is driving me nuts!  They have each gained 2 pounds.  The DH thinks it is funny because he thinks I keep the dogs too skinny.  I don't.  I promise.  By the same token, almost all my bassets have had arthritis.  Beauford has hip dysplasia and a very crooked front leg.  He doesn't need to be carrying around extra weight.  I was told with winter coming on they need more weight.  Why?!  We live in Indiana, but they are INDOOR dogs.  They own sweaters, sweatshirts and jackets.  They do have very shiny, glossy coats right now.  I have had two dogs that were really bad about eating "inappropriate non-food items" if you cut their food back too much.  That means that they ate the carpet and the throw rugs if they thought they got hungry enough.  I can't switch these two to diet food.  They have food allergies.  I was lucky to find them what they are eating.  Hopefully when the hazelnuts are gone, they will lose the extra weight.  It might be spring or summer though because we don't get to walk in the winter like we do in the good weather.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford and Bugsey