[Dailydrool] Fat bassets

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 04:30:01 PDT 2011

Firstly, drool to everyone who is grieving or worrying about health issues. we share your pain.

Some of you may remember I used to have a foster dog called Fat Henry. He wasn't a basset, he was a German shepherd/corgi cross. He looked like a corgi-shaped barrage balloon. I have never seen such a fat dog. I spent months and months reducing his weight, but you could never call him slim. In his forever home, he still lives with a basset and his dad still has trouble keeping his weight off. Some dogs, like some people, just have a rubbish metabolism.

Rolph and Clara are slim. Both were slim when I got them and both believe they are badly underfed. I am very strict with their food because I don't want them looking like Fat Henry and because I am worried about their backs and their joints. Rolph already has arthritis (he's 7). I fight all the time with Daughter One, who feels they are underweight. I have explained the knuckle test, the reasons for keeping them lean and how the food they get is the best I can buy. We still disagree.

Usually when  I take them to the vet I am told they are an excellent weight. Except once. This vet told me Rolph was too thin. Too thin? Well, he was there because he had been vomiting for three days and so I had stopped feeding him, but he still passed the knuckle test as far as I could tell. Also, Hello Mr Vet, he has been vomiting everything up for three days.

I upped his food when he was better, let him get back to where he was before. Next visit to the vet I was told - "Rolph has put on a bit of weight since he was last here - you should watch that". arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sally, with Pw Rolph and Clara, UK