[Dailydrool] Tina's Eye

Nancy nancykay9 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 17:27:11 PDT 2011

This morning (Sunday) around 9:00, Bill called to me and said, "There's
something wrong with Tina's eye!" Needing more information (duh), I
said, "What?" and he said, "It isn't there!" and I said, "What !!!!???"
Well, her third eyelid was completely covering her right eye, looking
very Halloween-mask-like. The dreaded glaucoma was the first thing to
come to mind, so we called the emergency vet, and told them we'd be
there as soon as possible. We made it in record time, there are probably
15 stoplights on our way to them, and we made 14 of them -- that will
never happen again in this lifetime.

Anyway, it turns out that Tina has uveitis, an inflammation of the
middle part of her eye. Her left eye is slightly red, too, so we're
treating both eyes. The vet checked her ocular pressures and said they
were actually a bit below normal (so it's not glaucoma), and that
pointed to the uveitis diagnosis. She's now on optical corticosteroid
ointment in both eyes every 4-6 hours, atropine in the bad eye every 8
hours, and an oral pain med every 12 hours. I had to make a chart to
keep up with her dosing times!

She already looks much better this evening, and we're to follow up with
our regular vet at the end of the week to make sure things are
progressing well.

It's never dull.

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina the Picky-Eater