[Dailydrool] Regarding Tramadol

Damien Kraus dkrausga at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:51:54 PDT 2011

We've been living with yet another crashed computer so I'm just now able to
catch up on the drool!

In regards to tramadol......  Kelvin tried his hand at it after a full week
of pulling the 'drama king' routine of limping around and generally acting
pitiful.  I finally took pity on the old man, takes 4 days for him to give
up the routine if he's faking it, and we went to see yet another new vet
here where we've moved.  This one's a keeper, finally.

First up his CRF is not just well controlled, it's astoundingly almost non
existent on his blood work now.  His BUN was 16 (he has not been this far
into the normal range of 7-25 since we've had him) and his creatine is
1.3!    Vet recommended the tramadol since it would affect his kidneys
less.

We started it that night, it was a Friday.  He slept straight through the
night and could barely rouse himself enough to eat the next morning.  In
fact he didn't even finish his meal, which is sooooo not normal.  Slept all
day, had to be carried out to use the facilities, refuse evening meal and
this was only HALF THE DOSE THE VET WANTED HIM ON!!!!  Slept through to
Monday with the exception of a few very confused 15 minutes here or there
where he was panicky and baying or stumbling around drunk, lost a bit of
weight, scared the crap out of me.  And his limping/stiffness was still
there.  Called vet, was switched to Prevacox immediately.  Took until that
Friday before he ate full rations again and could stay awake like normal
without the confusion or drunk walking.  This was this past Friday, now he's
back to walking without limping, no stiffness, climbing most stairs, and
generally loving life and his cats again.

So no tramadol for the old geezer!

Carmen and herd