[Dailydrool] My friend needs help, please

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 05:55:43 PDT 2011

My friend needs help with her sick dog. She is at a loss and is grasping
for straws right now. Below you will find Rusty's story. I have advised
her to look for changes in his food, Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Low Fat,
and to get a consult with our holistic vet. He's eaten a little chicken
one day then not another, a little rice one day but not another. He's
eaten a bit of bread. He's refusing his pills. They've given her Pepcid
AC and something else to coat his stomach but he won't take it. His
blood work, urine and stool samples are all fine. He seems to want to
eat but it hurts. Vet is at a loss. They are thinking IBS or ulcers.
Please read her story and send me any suggestions you might have if this
sounds familiar and I will pass them to her.
Thanks for all the help. I told her I would turn to you guys and all
your knowledge/experience.
Cheryl

I’m looking for any insight on what may be wrong with Rusty, our ½
bassett (his mom) and 50:50 black lab:airedale terrier (dad). He’s 9 ½
years old, and was in excellent health until Ocotber 14, when he stopped
eating. Until then, he had a great appetite (no meal lasted over 1
minute). We struggled to keep his weight down to about 65lbs, as
recommended by our vet. Then he just stopped eating. In the last 10
days, he has consumed the equivalent of what would have been 2-3 meals
for him. We took him to the vet October 14, and nothing was found other
than a “slightly elevated” white count. He saw a covering vet at the
practice. No fever or other changes to vitals. He ate a few treats at
the vet. He didn’t eat over the weekend (Oct 15-16), and we were back to
the vet (his usual doc, who has known him since 2 months) October 17.
Again nothing was found. He saw a 3rd vet October 20 and had an
abdominal ultrasound which hinted at a bladder infection, but his urine
analysis has come back negative (we tried antibiotics). Stool culture is
also negative. He did vomit some yellow-green bile Saturday October 22
after chewing on some grass. Today, October 24, a series of plain films
were done, again negative.

Basically, we have what appears to be a healthy, happy dog who has eaten
nothing in 10 days. He takes in some water, and small amounts of food
(rarely). He is passing stool. He is scheduled for upper and lower GI
endoscopy tomorrow, and the next step would be exploratory surgery,
which seems excessive to me. Then again, he isn’t going to get any
stronger, and if he needs surgery, sooner is probably better than later.

Past medical history includes orthopedic surgery to the knee in 2005 and
spinal surgery due to traumatic disc rupture in 2008. The only other
illnesses he has had have been minor skin infections and a few
lacerations (years ago). He was attacked by another dog in mid
September, and was grabbed around the neck, but the skin was not broken,
and he seemed fine for a month. Let me know if you have any ideas about
what is going on, or what to do next.

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone who may be able to help.

Medically, I am at a loss to explain what is going on. Thanks in advance