[Dailydrool] Picky Eater

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 06:17:07 PDT 2011

I have to thank you all for drooling for Dexter, our new foster. He's an adorable little guy, five years old, who lost one eye from glaucoma and now is having trouble with his second eye, which he will probably also lose, since the statistics on such things are not good. We're providing him with round-the-clock treatment for the next ten days, then we'll move to less frequent treatments. (Oh, this is going to be fun!) Any advice on how to keep his good eye going would be welcome, but I have a larger problem.

My real problem with him is that he is a picky eater. He reluctantly began to eat our Dashing Basset Bakery peanut butter treats and now seems to love them, but he turned down our chicken-liver treats that all the hounds seem to adore. Apart from that, the only thing I have gotten him to eat is some ground beef. Evidently he had been fed a grocery-story-bought food by his original owners, in guess what flavor? I called the vets, and they had gotten him to eat some beef canned food, but I'd like to get him on a good kibble (my guys eat Earthborn with no complaint, but he would not touch their fish version or the duck and other poultry one that I also had on hand). Dexter does not like any of the veggies my hounds chomp down with ease. He turned down a human cracker. He will not eat rice at all. I don't think I have to worry about his being a counter cruiser!

I guess I will have to go to the pet store and get a variety of beef foods and test them out. I know even the least picky hounds will sometimes turn up their noses at something, but I expect to have a real hassle getting Dexter to approve of one. Any bright ideas? The store I go to does not seem to offer samples, unhappily.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets