[Dailydrool] Dogs that can't be "fixed"

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 17:24:39 PDT 2011

Momma here. I have written this post so many times in my head, bringing forth the unspoken subject of owning a dog that there just is no fix for-- the aggression issues--you know, years ago when I first joined the Drool, I watched, waited, prayed, that some one would talk about this subject. That day just never came, I thought well, it must be me, all these folks talk about everything, except this. I owned a dangerous, aggressive basset named Penny at the time. She was a small basset, part of a ugly divorce of a BYB here in town. I pulled her myself, brought her home, full of intent that she would finally be happy. She was about 2 at the time. She had issues, but we were sure this was due to her past and thought the good life would calm her down, make her feel safe and loved. I was so mistaken. I just didn't understand why she was so mean, she had so much, and yet as time passed she got worse. I hired a trainer to come here to the house and work with all of us-the trainer had been here with her all of a few minutes when she attacked Ol Bob--the trainer got her before any damage that time. Well, we all trained, worked, did everything we were told, it helped some, but she could change and attack faster than I could turn around.  I took her to Doc for tests, help, advice more than I can ever say. We tried drugs, shots, diffferent drugs--some things helped, but never for long, and I was never sure when that time would come that the particular drug stopped working until she went after someone. She would attack sleeping dogs, anything that caught her fancy. When she was 7, things here were horrible.  We  kept her seperate from the rest of the pack, or she had a soft muzzle if she was in general population. We could actually see the look on her face change into almost a trance as she tried to strike, the look was eerie--and after it was over she didnt even know what happened-you could see that---
I grew fearful of her-I have grandkids, people came to visit, and I didnt trust her, but still--she was a basset, heck, I could handle this--------but in the back of my mind was safety, my other dogs, lets face it, Penny was now a liability. Time didnt heal this situation, it made it worse.
On her last day, I knew I had waited too long-she had on her muzzle--6am-I seen the glazed look come over her, she went into such a rage she got out of the muzzle and went after Elder Clara-she didnt get Clara but she tore me up like a rag doll. I put her down 2 hours later.
Now let me say this--there is a big difference between a dog that will fuss and grab a earflap in a scuffle, and what I call a dangerous dog-a dog with rage, a dog that can't be fixed-a dog that when you set them free you have done them justice.

Yep--I spilled my heart out here-and maybe, just maybe it will help someone else not feel so alone such as I did. There are many "Penny"s" out there.

To Maggie and Menzie--many hugs, but you had the courage to set Fergus free--free of demons he had no control over--bless you both for doing the right thing.

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake