[Dailydrool] rageful bassets

Randee White randeewhite at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 10:41:53 PDT 2011

I also have had 2 Bassets put down for rage episodes.  One was an older dog I had picked up and was fostering for rescue.  Meek, mild mannered, sweet as could be.  Until he went into a rage.  He would be standing, looking at nothing in particular.  He'd get very still, the light would leave his eyes and be replaced with a glazed look.  Suddenly he would roar and lunge.  Luckily he never nailed anyone but one day I was petting him when he did this.  I was lucky that I noticed and pulled away because my face was his target.  That was the day I realized that he was never going to get better and had this "sweet" old man put down.  I always thought that he had demons in his head that took hold.  I believe I did the right thing for him to finally be at peace.  The other dog was a one and a half year old girl.  I fostered her for six months.  She nailed every other dog in my household and got me at least twice.  We tried everything.  I finally
 had her put down the day after she kept throwing herself at the door of her crate in a rage trying to get to me.  Again, I cried buckets over her because when she was good, she was wonderful, and so young.  But dangerous.  Sometimes I still wonder whether I would have been able to "fix" her issues.  But at what cost?  I have had hundreds of fosters come through my home.  I think that with BYB the way it is and the way some dogs get treated when they are young, we have to acknowledge that we will find an "unfixable" dog or two along the way.  I think Fergus is finally at peace, the demons in his head are silenced and he can be a normal boy.  You did the right thing.  Randee and the White House Gang