[Dailydrool] Voting & this & that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 05:58:33 PDT 2011

The Shelter Challenge has been close right along but they are catching up
in a big way! They are only two tenths of a point behind us! OUCH! Please
vote for Basset Rescue Crew of the Southeast in SC every day. We sure can
use that prize money to take care of some needy hounds. Thanks so much for
all of your votes so far and please, please keep voting every day!

Brrrrr! It's cold! Hope all of you folks up north still have heat and
lights! It sounds like things got kind of brutal over the weekend. My divas
and Tybee were not happy about having to go out Friday morning in the cold
rain but at least it didn't snow! I think the Houndettes are convinced that
they will melt if their paws get wet and they have convinced Tybee that his
will too!

Speaking of Mr. Tybee....he's doing GREAT! He had the pin removed almost
two weeks ago and I see his limp getting better every day. We were supposed
to keep him quiet for two weeks this time and it has been almost
impossible! He feels good and has LOTS of energy. He's been on a mission to
destroy as many toys as he can over the last couple of weeks and is doing a
good job of that. I'm NEVER going to buy another toy with stuffing in it
for the rest of my life! Ty has gotten through the gate and come upstairs a
couple of times and is slowly but surely turning the wooden baby gate in
the family room into tooth picks! Two more days and he'll be able to do
anything he wants. Believe me, we're counting down here! This little guy
wants to be with his person and pack ALL the time and cries and carries on
when he's by himself. Usually one of the Houndettes stays with him but he
does have to be alone once in a while.

Thanks so much for telling all of us your story about Penny, Debbie. Ginger
is our hound who will go into a rage here but certainly not on the same
level as your Penny or some of the other dogs all of you have told us
about. We had a wonderful trainer come (Dawn Gardner who is also on this
list) and head us in the right direction with Ginger and we have been able
to manage her aggression. I have to say, it's absolutely frightening when
you see a dog totally lose it. Teeth flashing and biting and the blind rage
is terrifying. We all do everything that we can to avoid making that
ultimate decision but sometimes allowing our dogs that final rest is the
most loving thing that we can do. I pray that we will never have to make
that decision with any of our hounds.

Wishing everyone a fun and safe Halloween! The hounds will be sequestered
behind gates tonight while we pass candy out to the neighborhood kids. I'm
sure they'll serenade everyone each time the door bell rings!

The Houndettes and Tybee send heart healing and get well drool to all in
need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with foster boy Tybee, who is doing a good impression of the
Energizer bunny!