[Dailydrool] Drool for Max please

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Mon Oct 31 06:27:01 PDT 2011

Max is my son’s three year old blond tiger cat.  He is much beloved by our
bassets, being a houseguest of ours on several occasions.  This past
Friday, my son’s wife was getting ready for work in the morning and found
Max unresponsive on the kitchen floor.  She woke my son up (he works
nights) and my son rushed him to the vet.  Vet tech says it will likely be
around $2,000.  My son is sitting in the vets office crying because they
might as well have said $50,000 – they are just out of college, newlyweds,
just trying to make their start in life in a bad economy.  The vet says she
will give him $500 credit that he can take 18 months to pay off and
discounted down to about $700 total.  Anyway, Max has a blockage and his
bladder was filled up and he was being poisoned because he couldn’t
urinate.  Xrays and ultrasound showed nothing so they keep him sedated and
work on getting his system flushed out.  Max came home and had to be rushed
back to vet several hours later and is going through same process again –
another $400 to $600.  Hopefully this will work.  Vet says surgery might be
an option, but no guarantee that would work either and would be about
$2,000.  They simply don’t have that kind of money, especially for a
“maybe”.  We have offered to help as much as we can, but we don’t have that
kind of money either.  It is the first time son has had to make difficult
decisions related to the animals – it has always been dad and I who have
made the tough calls about our animals being pts.  Any drool that could be
spared that Max’s second treatment will work would be greatly appreciated
by the bassets and the rest of our family.

Alicia, Flo, Gabe and Liz