[Dailydrool] Questions on Rimadyl and formerly "down" dogs

Nicole Haase nicole.haase at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:52:52 PDT 2011

Since everyone was so helpful while my Flash was down in his rear, I
thought I'd crowd source again on how to handle his treatment now that he's
up and moving.

We've done a total of 20 days of once-a-day 75 mg of Rimadyl and the vet
doesn't want to give Flash any more.

He has said that he isn't sure how to proceed from here and said that he
wants to see what happens when Flash goes off the Rimadyl. If he goes down
again, then we'll know to keep him on the Rimadyl long term.

I'm not really a fan of this plan at all. I don't like taking the chance of
more damage to his back or legs and the worry that he might not get back up
again. Playing "let's see" really sits wrong with me.

What are your experiences with a dog who's been down and got back up? Do
you keep them on medicine long term? Is it not feasible or good for his
health to be on Rimadyl? Would it be better to have him on Prednisone? What
are the plusses and minuses to one versus the other?

As a reminder, Flash is 11 or 12 and overweight. I am not particularly
concerned with long-term effects because I just don't expect that to come
into play. I want his time now to be comfortable.

Any information anyone can share would be helpful.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and kind words. We still can't
believe that the vet said Flash was likely paralyzed and 4 days later he
was up and walking. Its our own little miracle.

Nicole

--
Nicole Haase
nicole.haase at gmail.com