[Dailydrool] Shelby the lost

Julie Haegele jules56pt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:29:39 PDT 2011

This morning at around 6 AM the dogs were out in the back yard.  All came
in but Shelby.  She was barking at the side fence.  I called, talked and
finally yelled so loud that I woke up the bloodhound a few doors down and
got him started howling.  Did Shelbs come in?  No way.  She just sat there
bellowing at the fence like she had good sense.  I shut the door and gave
the other girls a treat.  Then I went back to the door and asked if she
wanted a biscuit.  She kept bellowing.  I shut the door and took about ten
steps into the house.  She was scratching at the door.  She is a sneaky
one.  I think she can't hear but she can.  She just doesn't always want
to.

Last night we left the house for a couple of hours.  I had gotten a cup of
Halloween candy from church as a gift.  I put it on the table in the hall
pretty far back.
Maggie-1
Candy-o
Mom-o

DH found the cup in the family room.  There was not a tooth mark on it.
There also were no wrappers or not or any sign of the contents.  I
shouldn't always blame Mags but she is the counter cruiser extraordinaire.
She seems no worse for the wear.  She is just as bouncy and happy today as
always.  This time I do believe all paper was consumed.  That is not always
the case.

When we had our first two bassets and were not well versed in their
thieving little ways, we stupidly put some candy under the tree.  It was in
a thick hard plastic box that was sealed and wrapped.  One day we came home
to find the box open and every piece of the candy eaten.  There were little
foil balls all over the floor.  They were very discerning girls and would
not consume any sort of foil.  they survived and so did we.  We also never
put a present under the tree until Chistmas morning afte that.  They were
stinkers and I still miss them.

Ninja does not like Halloween.  That is an understatement.  She bellows,
growls and tells everybody who will listen to get away from her mama.  The
only way we can do Trick-or-treaters is to put the baby gate in front of
the door and not let them past it.  She did ok but I really kept an eye on
her.  One little girl wanted to pet them.  I wasn't keen but Maggie was.
She sat real close to the gate and put her head up where the little girl
could reach it.  Maggie is such a lover.  She might smash people but she
loves them.  The little girl thought she was cute.  Maggie probably
outweighed her by 40 pounds.  They are all snoozing after their ordeal.

Happy Halloween from  Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby.  The kitties are
napping upstairs away from the fray.