[Dailydrool] Glaucoma Strikes Again

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Mon Oct 31 19:24:36 PDT 2011

Need lots of drool.  Our Pixel, age 11, was diagnosed with this dreaded
disease in one eye today and has lost sight in that eye.  The
ophthalmologist vet said it is a matter of time until her other eye goes as
well.  She will start treating the good eye with multiple meds as soon as
the pressure gets into the teens as is now 10 which is normal.  The bad eye
is being treated with drops and ointment to take away the pain (although
she was not exhibiting any).  She had pancreatitis a month ago and is now
over that.  The vet said that since this is an inflammatory disease, this
can start glaucoma in a dog prone to it.

Our Browser, age 8, lost his sight from this dreaded disease when he was
five.  Pixel and Browser are from two different excellent breeders who
always have the eyes (retina) checked by the optho vet before breeding but
it only takes one recessive gene which cannot be detected.

We are devastated and only hope they can locate the gene that causes this
in bassets and then eliminate this from the breed.  Univ. of Iowa is
working on this research right now.

I just hope Pixel's good eye can remain sighted as long as possible.

Sally Russell