[Dailydrool] Weight

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Wed Oct 19 10:35:22 PDT 2011

Overweight dogs of any breed is a huge pet peeve of mine!  A neighbor has an elderly beagle who is so heavy that it seems hard for her to walk.  How do you think that that's ok?  When I first got Fred and Annie, Fred was underweight.  I just fed them what I thought they needed, not really paying much attention to their weights.  Plus, I didn't really know what a basset was "supposed to" look like.  One day my vet told me that Annie was up to either high 60's or low 70's...I can't remember.  She has had problems with her legs and is not very active.  I asked how much she should weigh and the vet said, "Well, last time she was here she was 63 and there was no note that she was emaciated."  Ouch!  The goal was to get her to lose about 10 lbs.  Fred was in the mid-60's at the time, and I was told that he could lose a couple...he's much more muscular and much more active than Annie.  Well, it was VERY easy to get them to lose weight.  It's not like they can raid the pantry!  If I don't give it to them, they can't eat it.  Annie is now at about 55 lbs, Fred is about 61, and they are both perfect (according to the vet.)  Every time we go, I ask, "Are you sure they're not too skinny?" and I'm told absolutely not.

I also want them with me forever.  There will be health issues over which I'll have no control.  This is something that I, and only I, absolutely can control, so I will!

Rose, Annie and Fred (don't listen to that Vet...we ARE starving!!!)