[Dailydrool] weight

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 04:55:23 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,   we have drool being slung far and wide from the Bounders to
anyone who has a need.

I just wanted to chime in on  weight and Bassets, really any breed, but
Bassets specifically.

Duke and Duchess stay periodically at a friend's house for some special one
on one time.  Debi lost her hound to cancer over a year ago and has not been
sure about getting another full time, so this works well with her and duke
and Duchess.

Anyhow,  Debi has said to me several times over the couple of years I have
known that she loves a fat Basset.  Her Maggie was a big girl, but not
grossly overweight.  I get on her all the time about not overfeeding Duke
and Duchess.  Think she is starting to get it, as I have been very strong in
my words about their intake of food.

I am very strict when it comes to cookies and more food than they need as I
have had to let one go, due to back issued.  I had a wonderful hound named
Noah, he was a red and white, and I loved him so much.  He came to me at
about age 12, overweight.  Only had him about 4 months before he went down
in his back, and there was nothing to be done except help him to the Bridge.

What hurt so much was that it might could have been different if he had less
weight on him during his life.  It might have meant he had longer to be with
me.

I say might have been different, I do not know for sure,  but he made me be
more aware than I was already about Bassets and their weight.

When you have to let your hound go because of weight causing issues with
their backs,  you become fine-tuned to weight issues.

Sorry to ramble,  but this is a topic that I feel very strong about.  And
yes,  I can look past those adoring, begging faces and eyes to know that
denying them might just be saving them some serious medical issues down the
road.

Just call me the biscuit police.

wen and the Bounders

 <http://www.seniorhoundsabound.org/> www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us