[Dailydrool] Nigel

Jjcsandrcs at aol.com Jjcsandrcs at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 10:55:42 PDT 2011

Beverly---So glad that you have discovered Eddie's wheels for Nigel.   At
Carolina Basset Hound Rescue, we have had several dogs on wheels in the last
year. Our foster, Franklin was down in the legs, had surgery for his back
and was recovering well when he unfortunately died from an infection.  We
have lots of video of him running around on his wheels--looking so happy and
zooming around at the Vet where he lived post surgery.  We were heartbroken
 after so much success w/ him.

The other story is happier, the case of Pappy---aka Paddington Bear   His
foster Mom discovered he was weak in the back legs so she borrowed a  set of
wheels we'd been given, I actually transported them to her.  She has  also
had him in water therapy using a baby's pool as shown on the Drool.   His
legs are much stronger and he can now go on short walks w/o his wheels.  A
bonus, he is so sweet with her just walking baby girl--they are great  friends.
Her husband  has just completed his time in the Army, serving  our Country.
Nice young couple doing the 'volunteer' thing in their mid  twenties.

I also came across an article on making your own dog wheels, since they are
 so very expensive--it used small bore PVC pipe, but we weren't sure it
could hold the weight of big Basset so we didn't investigate any further.

Our goal is to have  two sets available--one for a  large  Basset and one
for a medium Basset.

Best wishes for success with Nigel--handicapped dogs, just like handicapped
 humans can live a full life--blind or deaf Bassets do fine with some
accommodations by the owner.   It's not necessary to have working legs  for a
dog to be happy as you will see  when Nigel gets his.---Mother of a
veterinarian and a Chaplain

PS--Buster and Miss Ellie send healing thoughts as they don't Drool except
for meat!!!