[Dailydrool] Rage Syndrome

barbara rocheleau bjrocheleau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 07:08:24 PDT 2011

I have to voice in on the Canine Rage Syndrome.  Years ago, before I got
Layla and Opie, we rescued a 1 year old Cocker Spaniel.  He was beautiful
and such a great dog.  We could not imagine why the owner's did not claim
him at the dog pound.  We had him a few days and a friend of my husband's
came over.  He slapped my husband on the back and Riley went after him.  We
thought he was just being protective.  The next day he went after my
daughter's boyfriend.Jonathan loved Riley and always played with him.  He
had on a baseball cap, so I would not let anyone in with a cap on.  A few
days later, he went after my 3 year old nephew.  This is when I really
became concerned.  We could not keep him if he was going to attack the
kids.  The next night my daughter was playing with him.  He jumped up on
the couch next to her and was starting to settle in, turned and bit her on
the face.  (she was ok!)  That was it.  We called the vet the next day and
they made us file a report because he had bit my daughter.  He explained
Canine Rage Syndrom to us and equated it to bi-polar disease in humans.  He
believes it comes from cross breeding, we did not know where RIley came
from.  We put him to sleep that day and the vet took his brain for
testing.  WE did not get the results of that testing, we felt guilty enough
putting him down.  He was a wonderful dog 97% of the time, it was that 3%
that we could not trust.  He could have hurt someone badly..as you have
stated with figertips bitten off!  I still feel guilt for putting him down,
but have to realize it was for the good of everyone, including our
beautiful boy, Riley.

Keeping this basset related..Layla and Opie are resting up for trick or
treating tonight...in the snow!  Layla does not like to dress up, so she
has a Halloween bandana.  Opie is going to be a pirate.  He LOVES to dress
up and seems to know how good he looks!!
Happy Halloween to all!!

Barbara Momperson to Layla and Opie