[Dailydrool] Rage syndrome

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 00:10:04 PDT 2011

My son adopted 2 very large Ovtcharkas (Caucasion Mountain Sheepdogs)  He had meant to get only one but was told they were a bonded pair.  Garnet was the dominate one.  She did not lke my then dauther-in-laws cocker spaniel (the most submissive dog I have ever seen)or he cat.  She becme increasing aggressive toward the DIL that she issued one of those "It's Me Or The Dog"  My son returned the dog to the rescue which moved to a different state.  One day he got a call from Boward Co FL saying they had his dog.  The rescue had neglected to remove his name for the microchip.  As it turned out Garent had attacked her walker and upon occasion had knocked people off moving motorcycles.  She, too, would get that glazed look before attacking.    Since she was such a rare breed  the FL shelter did want to see if they could work with her.  I contacted Best Friends in Utah but they did not have a place for a dog that had to be housed alone.    I do believe it is a type of brain seizure and as of yet there is no medications that will help.  Garnet is a big dog , her breed is meant to guard sheep from very nasty predators.  My son wanted to go and get her a but he is living with us and I did not want to chance our dogs lives with  an uncontrollable big dog.  My son wondered if returning her to the rescue had caused her become more unstable but I do think it is  condition that worsens over time.    We do not know the outcome but I suspect Garnet had to  be PTS.  It is always sad to put down a dog that is healthy in every  other way but without medications  or even a good idea of what is causing the behavior, it is the safest and kindest thing to do.   I do k hope they are doing research on this as it is likely that if it can be identified  and corrected in dog brains it could lead to help for some humans as well.