[Dailydrool] senior foster girl's worrisome behavior

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:24:12 PDT 2011

Last month I brought home Bobbie, as 8yr? old girl to foster.  She is a very small tri girl who is recovering from heart worm treatment.  .  She ate well and enjoyed being held in my lap.  Lately  she has been crying a little when picked up (carefully)  She is very afraid of storms and came on the bed one rainy night in a panic but settled down when cosseted and held (also the storm was passing.)  The other day DH got up and found her shaking slightly on the floor and popped her bed with me and she settled down and slept with me.  The next night I picked her up so she would be in bed and she seemed to have either a panic attack or  thinking about it, a seizure.  She arched her back, panted ed heavily and tried to run into the headboard, wall, just reflexively run.  I took her to the vet.  He checked her carefully, thought it was a panic attack.  Then she did it again.  I now wonder if it has anything to do with being picked up and if it is painful or harms her chest muscles in some way.  I once had a miniature poodle that had seizures and he did not try to run or was able to physically move in distance.    She is a sweet little girl, when she throws her ears back she reminds me of the calendar pic of Elder Clara.  Right now she is getting an antibiotic ( she had had loose stools for quite awhile) The pumpkin and yogurt have not seemed to help.  She is eating Hill ID with a generous helping of chicken or turkey. Rice was being left in the bowl.  No loose stools recently.  Picking her up does seem to cause her stress so I have not.  Her back legs are more wobbly than usual.  The vet said luxating knees.  This does not seem to bother her  Could this be related to the heartworm treatment?    She loved to be held while I rocked and watched TV, now she wants to do this but is obviously very uncomfortable. Vet said her heart and pulse are fine.