[Dailydrool] dog pqrks parka.PARKS

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:53:33 PDT 2011

jEEZ.

Ok. There is a dog park here in town to which I do not belong. They took my
tracking field and turned it into the dog park. It is on very low ground
that floods whenever it rains and is next to a creek on two side so there
are plenty of mosquitoes. It is closed a lot.
They did put double gates in, so no one can get out as someone comes in.
They put a drinking fountain in, and some benches, and a little area about
the size of 3 adults with a roof. It has been in the 90+'s here all summer
and there are no TREES (but it is a new park.) There are pick up stations.
It might be n ice if they would add some more water, a couple of tunnels, a
low dog-walk, and some TREES. Maybe they will.
Dogs must be neutered which lets out everyone except Cooper, Llewis and
John. Oops, did I say that? I am afraid Llewis might get hurt.
You need to be able to prove your dog is UPTD on shots and is registered
with the Village (also lets me out, none of mine are registered with the
Village because I do not want the Vil to know I have ANY dogs, much less
more than I am allowed.
The dog park I went to for awhile (until non-neutered Cooper decided to be
the Head Honcho and put his moves on a husky who really was the head honcho)
was bigger, on better ground, had tunnels, a little dog walk, communal toys,
benches, trees, water stations, a mister, a wading pool, double fencing,
dogs UPTD on shots and under control. Mitchell LOVED LOVED LOVED the dog
park. Without being neutered he kept to himself, snuffled every corner,
checked periodically to see where we were, and sometimes, if someone picked
on him, hollered for his big black hairy buddy. (He knew which side his
protection was buttered on...unh...well...anyway) Faced with Cooper, most
dogs left Mitchell alone.
Altho he never started an actual fight, as Cooper aged and he became, shall
we say, hormonally overrated in his own mind, I pulled him from dog parks.
Why should other people have to put up with a teen-aged punk when their dogs
are perfectly well behaved?

Since then two of my friends have had dogs seriously injured at that dog
park. Both dogs recovered, but it was ugly. I have walked past our local
park and neither find it appealing or see dogs there with whom I wish to
have mine interact. Plus, they have to be neutered and registered with the
village and all that.

Parks are great for Parky dogs. Mine somehow never have been. They have
their own little pack and I honestly think it would be dangerous to try to
introduce them to two or three or four other dogs. Waddles are different--
there are SO MANY Bassets that it would be overwhelmingly stupid to pick an
arge=ument.

Little off-topic note here:
I went over to our real house today to clean the kitchen and bathroom (we
are getting close) and my neighbor hailed me and said "Hey! You have some
BIG animal living back there between the fences! I can see the trails they
made. Almost deer sized...."
Ummmmmm. O Goodie. Leave your yard for 4 mos and see what moves in....we
have had foxes, raccoons, skunks, opossums around the house in the past.
Once we had a deer. We have muskrats and ground hogs in the area.....just
what I need. OBOY.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley (we wanna try the dog park! We RULE!!!)
and Cooper (***sigh***)