[Dailydrool] the basset brigade does the dog park!

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Sun Sep 4 16:39:16 PDT 2011

my guys have done the dog park here for forever.  actually i have been going to my county park since the 2nd day it was open about 12 years ago.  it is nothing fancy-about 2 acres, fenced with a 6' chain link fence, double gated, benches, pick up stations & a few trees.  there is a smaller side for dogs under 35 pounds with the same accomodations.  running water is available as well.

there have been fights.  some have been ugly. dogs over 6 months must be spayed & neutered & up to date on shots & licensed..  does the county regulate?  not really.  the owners self regulate unless there is a problem.

i go almost every day with my herd.  for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hrs.  they run & play with other bassets (of which there is a pack of about 6-8 not including them)  & other dogs that are honorary bassets.    it is open all year round except in winter when icy.  the county placed a limit of 2 dogs /person when it first opened but that is not enforced & not really reasonable.  (many folks have more than 2 pets)

the rules that are really problematic are the don't bring food into the park & feed other dogs...fights, allergies etc, intact dogs, & young children inside the park.

i love my park most of the time.  i have made some awesome friendships there...it has made a world of difference to my dogs lives.  people always comment on how active & fit they are...living in a small place with a tiny yard i would be lost without a dog park for them to go romp in.

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."  Albert Einstein

"Antiquity"                @www blurb .com
"Tater Takes a Trip" @  www.blurb.com
"Passion...a journey"  @ www.blurb.com