[Dailydrool] Doggie Parks

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 19:11:04 PDT 2011

Speedy and Rambo go to the doggie park. It is about 20 miles away and is run by the city where the dog park is located. They do not charge a fee or have a membership requirement and really don't require you be a resident of that city as they let me in. They do require that the dogs be spayed or neutered (although no one really checks), are current on vaccines, and have licenses.  This current one also has a 2 dog person dog requirement. Owners are required to stop any bad behavior and they are actually pretty good at doing just that. They do close the dog park once a week for cleaning. I think on a Wednesday from 10 AM to 12 PM when no one really goes anyway. I believe that it is about 2 acres and separates the small dogs from the big ones.

When we used to live in LA we used to track over to the Pasadena dog park that was about 15 miles away because the ones in LA could be iffy. Sometimes all the dogs were cool and sometimes the dogs not so cool. Although Speedy nor Rambo nor Ted ever got hurt or saw a dog fight, sometimes the dogs ruffed housed too hard and too long for my comfort which is why I would make the drive to Pasadena where the owners were more responsible about things like that. Neither the dog parks in LA or Pasadena, or some in the adjacent county charge for usage and are open to all. Requirements are mostly the same, licensed & vaccinated dogs only.

I like the requirement of spayed/neutered because less hormones seems to lead to less fights, but if owners are good such as they were in Pasadena they'd haul off their dogs if their dogs were the nuisance on their own accord. I also like the 2 dog per person requirement - easier to watch 2 dogs then 3 or 4 or 5.

In my current city we don't have an off leash dog park even though this city has a good dog friendly community. I wish we had an off leash dog park. So I'd be interested in hearing who about getting/requesting an off leash dog park from their city.

Nancy momslabe to
Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE
Ted (ATB)
and now Rambo