[Dailydrool] whoops ... that's Pam who saved him this time

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 6 17:19:24 PDT 2011

Hi all, Dale again,

Bev reminded me that while she has saved Snoopy from his clueless momPerson on
countless occasions, the credit for this particular life saving event goes to
Pam of the Dashing Bassets.

I dug out her post and here it is:

Lifting bassets requires more skill than strength. Bassets being heavier in the
front end than the back, you simply need to have the most support at that
heavier end.

Put one arm between the basset's front legs. You arm will head from the front
towards the tail (though unless you have very long arms indeed, it will nowhere
reach the tail. Properly placed, your arm should support a large part of the
chest area). Put your other arm under the basset just forward of the back legs
(this arm will go from one side of the basset to the other, bassets being quite
narrow in this area). On girls, this is easy, but you will need to be careful to
avoid a boys' delicate private parts.  The basset lift method is really much
simpler than it sounds, verbalized. You will be supporting both the chest and
the back end with this method. Though I am not particularly strong, I can lift a
50+ pound basset with some ease. I wouldn't try to carry one far this way, but
it works for putting a dog in a car, which is mostly when I use it.

Memorize it folks ... works great for 72 lb Snoopy and it'll work for you too.
While the weight limit might apply in normal circumstances (ie you have time to
go get a ramp or steps) trust me, if you basset is in danger adreniline will
kick in and you WILL have the strength to lift him/her.

Thanks Pam for this.

And thanks Bev for everything you've taught me about bassets.

--Dale