[Dailydrool] Flash Update

Veronica Woodruff bassetgrrl at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 10 02:54:38 PDT 2011

Well, it turns out that Flash has a calcified disc between his second and third vertebrae.  I dunno about you, but whenever I look at xrays I can't see anything--even the usual bits and pieces look nebulous.  But the calcification was glaringly obvious and out of place, even to me.

Dr. MacDonald explained the gravity of Flash's condition and said that there would come a day--no one can predict when--that Flash will simply be unable to get up.  That will be the day that he will be euthanized and we pray, of course, that it will not be for a long, long time.  Forever and a day, if we can make it so.  Yes, Flash could have surgery but we have opted out of that and the vet has concurred.  We are to give Flashy a Deramaxx every day, or every other day, half a pill one day, a full pill the next--you get the idea:  We'll have to play around with the dosage until we reach the place where, hopefully, the pain can be non-existent.

You know, we all say to ourselves that life is a gift.  But, and I can only speak for myself here, in the dailiness of it all we act as though life is simply there for the taking, rather ho-hummish and blase.  But I see now and feel now that life really *is* a gift.  And now, even though he is still a terrible dog (his latest drive-me-nuts campaign is when he licks up his own pee) I know I love him with a fierceness that ignites.

Thank you all so much for your well-wishes.  As you all know, seeing your dog in pain makes you feel helpless, as though you've been cast adrift on an ice floe and it's breaking up around you.  You've been a wonderful--beyond wonderful--group to turn to.  You're the best, all you Basset cases.

Veronica Woodruff

(Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia)

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.  In that space is our power to choose our response.  In our response lies our growth and our freedom."  Viktor E. Frankl