[Dailydrool] Canine cancer diets...

Lynn Hagge lmhagge at comcast.net
Wed Sep 14 08:31:55 PDT 2011

I’m mostly a lurker, but pop in every now and then.  Rocket, my heart dog, had surgery on June 30th to remove a tumor and the inner toe on his right rear paw, and the lymph node in that leg .  Unfortunately, biopsied on the paw came back as Mast Cell Tumor, the lymph node was negative.  The surgeon made it clear that there were no guarantees that the tumor would not return since he was not be able to get clean margins without amputating the leg, and going the chemo and /or radiation route,  which is what MSU Oncology Veterinary School recommended.  I decided against further surgery or cancer chemical treatment for my own personal reasons.

In less than 2 1/2 months, the tumor has returned, and started to grow alarmingly fast.  I said I wouldn’t do it, but (there’s always a but, isn’t there?) I contacted my regular vetman to get an rx for prednisone, today is Rocket’s second day of being on pred, and he’s turned into a lean, mean eating, drinking and peeing machine...he loves it since he’s realized he doesn’t get in trouble for peeing in the house!  Yesterday, the frantic licking and biting at his paw seemed to have stopped, today, not so.  I’m waiting on a return call from my vet, but in the meantime, I’ve started 50mg Benadryl 2x daily.  Since giving him the Benadryl, the licking and biting has stopped, again.  Also, I’ve ordered some K9 Immunity as it’s been highly recommended by several long time droolers, should be delivered on Friday.

I’m looking to see what other people with a dog in this situation have done in terms of feeding.  I’m still feeding as usual, however, I am looking at various “cancer” diets.  If you do a Google search for “canine cancer diets” the list goes on and on.  From what I’ve read (Monica Segal’s Canine Cancer booklet), the most successful seems to be the high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet.  I’d like to know what worked for you, what didn’t.  I’m grasping at straws at this point, my boy is not ready to go, and I’m not ready to let go, yet.  I’m open to all suggestions.

Peace, love, and ahroooos,
Lynn, Rocket, Goldie, Ralphie & Mooch.