[Dailydrool] Ernie

Janice Colvin jhenrycolvin75 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:29:15 PDT 2011

Dear Johanna,

I feel your pain, having Data the beagle-maniac live with us for the past 3
mos. or so.  Data does that mournful "got the scent" howl.  The good thing
about it is that it's better than his "Data hears/sees something" bark.
Data has become famous in both the neighborhoods where we live by running
away, tunneling under the fence, barking like a maniac, etc., etc.

BUT, Data is getting better!  He seems to now understand that we don't
appreciate his loud and formerly constant barking. I did find that a
citronella bark collar (about $60) works very well to curb barking.  Now
that Data is used to the dogs in the adjacent yards, he no longer barks at
them much.

I have used a clicker to reward him when he comes.  DH sometimes resorts to
the shaking the dog cookie jar, which gets a very good response.  Data is
helped by going on walks with the bassets and seems to follow their lead.
He sniffs and pulls, but not nearly as bad as when we got him.

I think Beagles are more interested in pleasing people than basset hounds.
Data is very affectionate and smart.

Believe me, I was almost hoping that Data would wander away permanently
after a few times of hunting him down after he dug under the fences.
Beagles seem to be like bassets on steroids, but luckily for them they are
cute.

Good luck with Ernie.

Janice, Roland, Truman, and Data (in descending order according to age)

--
Janice Henry Colvin