[Dailydrool] Smelly Hounds

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:59:43 PDT 2011

First, so glad to hear the terrific news about Harry and that things are
looking up for Sister Daisy! Debbie, I know you're trying everything but I
was just wondering if you've tried a little shredded sharp cheese in Daisy's
food? Our Shadow is the least food motivated basset I've ever seen and we've
tried everything from stinky canned cat food, beef gravy, along with a
variety of other smelly "nutritious" things and, right now, finely sharp
shredded cheese is working. Shadow has actually been losing weight because
she won't eat but now, with the cheese, she's a little chow hound. Just a
thought.

Smelly hounds.....well, we live with five hounds right now and you can
imagine what the house smells like! However, it's the normal Frito smell
that we don't object to. My experience has been that Jersey will give off an
unpleasant odor when her anal glands are full. I would head for your vet
soon to give your smelly hound a good check up because there are a variety
of reasons that she might smell bad not just because of her anal glands.
Oral disease, ear problems, anal glands, etc. etc. You get the idea. You
absolutely need to visit your vet.

I feel silly asking this because there are so many other hounds who are so
sick right now but I'm going to ask anyway. Please sling a little drool in
our Ginger's direction. She started treatment for a UTI two weeks ago and
her symptoms are much better but she just hasn't been herself. They checked
her anal glands two weeks ago when we were there and just one side seemed to
be a little full so that was taken care of too. So we went back today after
she spent yesterday constantly licking herself. Well, now she has an anal
gland infection that the antibiotic for the UTI isn't taking care of and is
now on two antibiotics. Ginger has been our rock. She's been with us for
four years now and has NEVER been sick the whole time she's been here so
we're just shocked to have her have two separate infections going on at the
same time!

Tybee is GREAT! I have been taking some new pictures that I'll send to our
webmaster to post soon and I'll let you know when they're on the site. It's
so much cooler here in NC today that the Houndettes have been having a great
time playing outside and Ty has been so sad sitting behind the doors
watching them. We have three more weeks of leash walking and no zooming or
ramming but he just wants to play with them so badly. Time is going by fast
though so it won't be too much longer.

Hoping to hear some good news about Pearl. The Houndettes and Tybee are
sending drool laced with prayers from me to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with foster boy Tybee