[Dailydrool] Allergies, Incontinence, and Logistics of Two Dogs

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Sun Sep 25 06:26:47 PDT 2011

First off, I have been lurking and not writing lately.  I HAVE had the boys producing drool for all the sick hounds and my heart bleeds for all who have lost a hound.

Allergies are driving us nuts at our house as well.  We were doing SO well.  Both boys have been RAST tested and get shots.  I know they say that the RAST testing is not as accurate as the skin testing (and it is true), but my vet says he sees about an 80% improvement in the allergies with it and I would concur with that.  I would also say that if you have a year round problem it is really worth it.  If you only have trouble during the harvest season, or ragweed season, it isn't worth the money.  For us, it was well worth the money.  We were spending way more on treating ear infections and hot spots then we do on the shots.  The best time to do it is after it freezes and if you live in the country after the harvest season.  Then you can test them and get them started on shots and get some build up before the next pollen season.  Fortunately/unfortunately, both of mine have really wicked food allergies as well.  Every where I take the dogs people want to feed them because they are so cute.  It really makes me angry when they feed them and don't ask.  I don't remember who had the dog that was allergic to dust.  Feel free to e-mail me.  I am horribly allergic to dust and so is Bugsey.  There are LOTS of things you can do to help.

Putting diapers on dogs when they are incontinent.  I used to be totally against it.  Then my beloved Elwood started leaking.  He was mortified.  It bothered him more than it bothered me.  I have doubles of everything so one can go in the wash and I still have one.  I knew it wasn't his fault.  Because he was so upset by it I got him a belly band.  I discovered the liners they sell to put in there are not meant for a basset.  I got generic poise pads at Wal-Mart.  I put the band on him.  I still took him out regularly and took the band off so he could go.  I would ask him if he wanted his band on when he came in and he always came and stood so I could get it on him.

Logistics of two dogs.  I would recommend walking the two dogs seperately at least in the beginning.  You have no guarantees that the two dogs will like each other.  You don't want your dog to feel displaced by the newcomer and the foster probably needs some extra time.  I have always walked my 2-3 dogs seperately.  This is our quality time together.  I can work on training if I only have one.  I can give them more attention and I can go the proper speed and distance for that dog.  Seeing as I need to lose a good 40 pounds, the extra walking isn't going to do me any harm.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford and Bugsey