[Dailydrool] Pearl's on crate rest

Synthia and Hounds mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:44:45 PDT 2011

Poor girl just can't catch a break. We got xrays - her back is fused from T10-L1 but we think she slipped in the wet grass or tweaked it somehow and that is causing the problem in her left leg. She doesn't seem to be in pain - eating well and no obvious tenderness when palpating her back - just weak. She is already on neurontin and tramadol so we will continue that and let her rest for a few days. Then, on the way out, she was little bloody marks on the floor. We tried to find where it was coming from - no nail trim or anything - and found it was coming from one of the pads on her right rear foot. Back in with the vet, and she has a small lesion on that pad that just happened to start bleeding while we were at the vet. It appears to be an irritated skin tag. Odd location but nothing sinister. Normally they would just remove it, but the vet didn't want anything else done to her (neither do I) right now. We bandaged the foot, and since she is on rest anyway, we are hoping it will heal. So a weak left rear leg and bandaged right rear foot.
On the up side, we did check her hematocrit and in two weeks she has gone from 24 (after the hemorrhage and failed transfusion) to 34 - way to go Pearl! Quite a response in two weeks. We are still being told with the hemangiosarcoma the prognosis is 2-4 months without chemo, but I am betting Pearl shows them how wrong they are. I have a referral for a rehab center that does acupuncture and water therapy, so will call them tomorrow and see what we can do about getting her in. It is an hour away, so not something we will be able to do as often as I'd like, but I do want to get her out there.
I hear Pearl complaining about being confined to the bathroom, so am going to go sit with her for a while.
Thanks for the drool and good thoughts for her continuing recovery!
Synthia, Pearl (what is up with my feet?), Zuma (fancy shoes!), Kahuna (she wiggles when she walks),  Cardiff (she tips over when I walk by), and Griffin (now I can't drink out of the toilet)