[Dailydrool] Knowing breeds/lost dogs

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 08:21:38 PDT 2011

> Most people know what a Basset looks like altho a lot of people, as
> we all
> have noted, mix up Beagles and Bassets.

In my neighborhood, our Elsinore is often confused for a dachshund.
"Look, it's a wiener dog!" they'll say with an air of smug authority.
After all, she's not only long and low, like a dachshund, but she's
also black and tan (albeit with a white face now). I usually don't
correct them. After all, Elsinore doesn't care, and there are
certainly worse things in life to be called than "dachshund."

On the topic of knowing dog breeds, I too like to pore over dog breed
books. Later on I'll use the information at times when I  need to
mentally distract myself, usually during unpleasant medical
procedures or tedious monologues delivered by family I should be
polite to. My memory game involves going through the alphabet by
naming all the dog breeds I can remember that start with the letter A
(akita, afghan, etc.). Then I move on to B, C, and so on. When I
really need the distraction, I'll try to do the breeds in
alphabetical order within each letter. I've found this game is often
more distracting than reciting poetry, and sometimes it's as good as
counting sheep (only I'm counting an animal I feel far more fondly
toward than sheep).

Elizabeth