[Dailydrool] Bloat

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 11:02:06 PDT 2012

I am so happy, Dale, that Snoopy was OK. But please don't think that you can count on this happening every time.

Our Abner bloated very quickly. By the time I realized what was happening and grabbed the simethicone, he could no longer swallow it. I found the pill on the floor, after we came back from the ER vet, where we had to put him to sleep.

If it does happen again, go to the nearest ER vet. We usually go to another one, but once I realized what was going on, I headed for one that was only one town away. Even that did not help Abner, but if he hadn't been so far along, it might have given him a chance.

I firmly believe, that in his case, there was some other issue going on. He had a rare cancer, which I believe may have played into the problem. Abner did not have any of the classic causes of bloat going on at the time it happpened. You might want to take Snoopy for a checkup with your vet, even though he seems to be OK. Hopefully he's otherwise healthy, but I would want to be on the safe side.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets