[Dailydrool] Bloat redux

Kr1204 kr1204 at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 16:20:16 PDT 2012

I think momperson may have something right about bloat and cancer in older dogs. Crackers was 8 at the time. When my vet called me to say she finished surgery she said she looked at all his other organs and felt the length of the intestines looking for blockages, masses and anything that might have caused it. I didn't really take it in until I weeks later I looked at the itemized bill from the ER vet and saw several tests that were done to rule out cancer. This is not say that every older dog that bloats has a hidden cancer but it maybe a suspect in some cases. Also, given Crackers had lost half of his body weight in the previous six months they were highly suspicious. But everything was clean and they chalked up the weight loss to a temporary metabolic issue that resolved itself or was helped by the meds they were giving him.
On a side note, I think it is very useful we have these discussions periodically as new members are always joining and could use the info. I know some of us old timers see "vaccuums" or "anal glands" or other topics we have gone over repeatedly and groan but in the end, I think we all benefit and learn something while teaching others.
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan

Kr1204
kr1204 at aol.com