[Dailydrool] Joey's eye surgery update

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:42:10 PDT 2012

Droolers really are the most knowledgeble people! I've had so many people
provide help & guidance both by e-mail & facebook, as we headed into this
whole ordeal. Joey had his eyeball removed on Wednesday, he's now
covalessing at my parent's house, getting spoiled rotten, and lots of extra
attention & pets! He's even gotten both mom & dad (BOTH his grandpawrents)
to leash walk him, even though they have a fenced in yard! He's had a
little difficulty navigating the house, but it's mostly because of the cone
he has to wear! Mom actually said that when Domino (their Bagel) sounded
the alarm (yowling out back that there may or may not be some sort of
vermin out back), Joey woke up, hopped off the futon & tore through the
house & outside without getting the cone stuck on anything! Otherwise, he
kinda runs into stuff. He's also been starting to try & get in the trash
again, and been himself! Mom said the day that they got him from surgery
that he was positively trotting out of the vet's office, once he went 'flat
basset' first, of course. He's definitely doing better! While I wish we
didn't need to get his eyeball removed, I'm glad that we choose too, he was
obviously in discomfort with it still in. I truly believe that this
decision was for his best interest!

He's also gradually taking less & less medication, which is awesome! He'll
have 2 or 3 eyedrops that he'll have to be on trying to stave off the
glaucoma in the good eye, but the antibiotics for the bladder infection
should be done within about the next week or so, and the remaining meds he
won't need w/the bad eyeball out. So, hopefully this will be the last freak
thing to happen for awhile! I can't wait for Joey Hound to come back over
to MI, he'll be here in another few weeks, when my parents head over for my
graduation.

Thanks again to everyone for the drool & all of the information! This
completely sidelined us all, and we're still gathering info on this whole
thing. Also, if anyone knows the info for the 'blind dogs' group, could you
forward it along? I've had a number of people suggest checking it out, but
I don't know the link...

Drool to all those who need it!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey & Emma, with Slater (ATB), Aunty to Checkers, Domino
& Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473