[Dailydrool] Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Vi Potter vipotter at pld.com
Wed Apr 11 14:34:52 PDT 2012

This may not be Basset Related, But it is something that I feel everyone
needs to be aware of. Precious was not a Basset Hound but she was loved by
the Basset here and Paddie as well. This is our story and I hope and pray
eachone of you will look this up and learn the signs and symptoms for it
could effect and dog of any breed. It is Horrible stuff and it is wicked to
have to go throught it.
Vi Paddie (ATB) and The Country Bumpkins

I am writing this to let everyone know about a new thing that is out there.
I am not for sure how many dogs have gotten this but it is horrible and the
dogs get so sick some pull through and others do not.
Sat March 24th Precious got sick. I thought she had gotten into something
that did not agree with her as she was throwing up and just laid around. We
do not have an ER clinic her so I prayed we could get through the weekend
and get her to the vet Monday. First thing Monday I had her at the vets 40
miles away. He took a look at her and asked if she had gotten into something
and I told him that was my first though. He then all of sudden said
something does not look right. So he took her temp and it was up and he also
said she had blood in her stool. He was going to keep her and give her meds
and watch her. By Tues she was worse and stopped eatting and drinking. He
had an IV in so she was getting fluids. By Wens I went to see her she looked
so bad and she could hardly hold her head up and just laid there. I got her
to eat a little bit and that was about all. I was told that she has an
autoimmune thing going on and could not make enough red cell to support her.
I left fearing the worse for my little girl. Thrus there was no change. Fri
I went to spend an hour with her and he had the IV out. She was a little
more perky and she ate a little and she and I went to sit out side for a
while. He wanted to keep her the weekend. I called Sat and she now had blood
in her urin and the IV site had got infected. He had to lance her right
shoulder so it would drain. Sunday I did not get to talk to them. Mon first
thing I called and he wanted to still keep her. I got to pick her up Tues
afternoon.  She was still weak but looked allot better. He showed me how to
tend to her right shoulder and gave me some meds to give her. He told me to
keep her eating and if there was a problem to bring her back in. She did ok
Wens but Thrus I had to take her back in as everytime I picked her up she
would scream. She stayed in a play pen in my room at night and the xpen
durning the day. He thought maybe her shoulder was hurting her and then said
it could be her liver. He up one of her meds and gave me pain pills to give
as she needed. He also gave me some Nutra Cal for when she would not eat to
help boost her appitite. I made her every thing and offered her many things
through the day. I ask about taking her to Ama for Easter and he thought as
long as she took her meds and was eatting she would be OK. The trip down she
did OK and when we got there she drank some water  ( I offered her water on
the way down) and laid down. By Sat Morning she crashed. I called her vet
her and told him I though we were going to have to let her go and he asked
Why? I told him what she was doing and he said he platlets were down and she
needed oxygen and a transfussion.. I found a vet that would take her right
away. When we got there he seemed to know what to do and I told him what her
vet here said. He sent me to get her a differnt kind of med and was working
on the transfussion when I left. He wanted me after he got her stablized to
take her to an ER clinic there as she would need 24 hour care. I asked him
what she had and he told me
Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. I had no ideal what she was fighting and I had
no ideal how bad this stuff was or we would have never made the trip. I got
back and he had the blood transfussion going and he let me go in with her.
She was sure having a hard time and he put her on an IV and back under the
Oxygen. For some funny reason he decided to keep her. I left with my heart
knowing what was fixing to happen but I held on to hope cause he said
nothing about the possiblity of this happening. At 4:00 that afternoon he
called to tell me she passed away and he did not know why. He said usually
you can give them a transfusion and they will snap out of it, she never did.
I asked if I could come get her and he said Monday, the office was closed.
He knew we were from out of town and he knew we were leaving Sunday. I had
to leave Easter Day and leave her there. I am Thankful to God I have such
good parents as they went to get her Monday and they buried her with my
beloved Chachi in their place. I have to try to find comfort in the fact
that she was at home and that she was with people who cared about her.
This has really traumatized my Mother she has taken it pretty hard as she
was there when Precious crashed.
I am going through the what if's, If I had only, and what ever else goes
with it.
Please look this up on line and read about and learn the signs and symtoms.
I wish I had known it's name to learn more about it. I would have know then
what were up against.

My insightful husband had paid a wonderful tribute to Precious. As he told
me Easter Morning, You may not want to hear this now but I want to tell you
any way. It is said that Chi take asthma from people. Precious love you very
much and knew how sick you were. I truly think that she took that Auto
immune from you so that you would not be sick and hurt any more.  What a
Wonderful gift of Love my Little Girl Gave Me.
So To my Precious yoou are truly missed and we Love you so very much. I hope
you are running and having fun with your Buddy Paddie as he loved you to.

Precious Jan 1 2007 March 7 2012
Vi