[Dailydrool] autoimmune hemolytic anemia

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Sat Apr 28 18:28:45 PDT 2012

My Calhoune died of autoimmune hemolytic anemia when he was only 8.
(Calhoune and his brother Brendan were active on the Daily Drool in
the early days.) He was diagnosed when he refused a treat. Calhoune
would eat anything, so that was shocking. I looked in his mouth, saw
pale gums, and rushed him to the vet. We have a wonderful vet, very
familiar with Basset Hounds; he said he'd never seen in it a Basset
Hound; it was more likely in other breeds. We tried everything,
including transfusions and obscure (and expensive) drugs that I had
to drive to pharmacies to get.  Although he perked up with the
transfusions, his body just destroyed those red blood cells too, and
he continued to deteriorate. One day I went to visit him early,
before work; they kept me waiting a long time, and in my heart I
knew. He had just died. They brought him to me, and he was almost
alive; but he hadn't been able to hold on. He was the dog of my
heart, and just writing this brings tears to my eyes.

I used to watch a TV show called Inside the Actors Studio where
famous actors were interviewed. One of questions asked was, "When you
get to heaven, what would you like to hear God say?" And my answer
is, "Calhoune! Mommy's here!"

Sabrina, Ellie and Buddy, with Calhoune, Brendan, and Hailey ATB