[Dailydrool] pet medical insurance

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 11 15:58:17 PDT 2012

Hi all, it's the clueless momPerson again,

Ok, so now that LuLu is officially a Rutz, GGBR has gifted her a month of free
medical insurance.  This will defray costs for illness or injury.  After one
month I can continue it.  For $30 a month, they will pay $3K per incident for
illness or injury including foreign object injestion, UTI, cancer, eye and ear
related complaints, surgery, car accident, down in the back, what have you.
Fairly inclusive.  Main things not covered are routine preventative care.

I've never even considered it before.  Heck, Labs mostly have congenital issues
which you find the first year (hips, elbows, et al) and that stuff's not
covered.  They don't eat rocks, generally speaking.  And they rarely go down in
the back.  They get an occasional UTI, but mostly the ears stay clear and so do
the eyes.  And I've never heard of one bloating.  So, $400 bucks a year has
always sounded like a big waste of money.

But now I have bassets.  And I'm thinking about Debbie, and her 9 grand last
year on Daisy.  I don't EVEN want to know what Bev has spent at the vet this
year.

I'm thinking that at around $400 a year, even if LuLu lives another 10 years, to
16, it would be WAY cheaper to have insurance than to pay as I go.  Do you guys
carry insurance on your bassets?

More later from the cluess momPerson, who wants to know