[Dailydrool] Fleas, ticks, etc

Alice dognpony at ptd.net
Wed Apr 11 15:50:42 PDT 2012

We live on the outskirts of Bear Swamp which didn't get it's name for
nothin'.  In the 32 years I have lived here and had dogs, we only had fleas
once, so I don't consider them a problem.  Ticks, however, are a major pain.
Harley Chick at one time had exposure to ehrlichia, a tick borne disease.
One of my horses this winter was diagnosed with severe Lyme disease which
required 3 days of IV antibiotics plus 30 days of oral.  We will be
re-testing soon.  Husband also had Lyme at some time, but the doc doesn't
think it's active right now and hubby is on IV antibiotics for another
problem anyway which would take care of the Lyme.

We use Frontline and we get the large size (75 lbs?) and dose 2 dogs with
that.  I did hear Dr Marty Goldstein, a holistic vet, say that you can use
less of a dose and still be effective.  It seems that ticks are bad here in
spring and fall, not so much in summer.

My vet did tell me years ago that heartworm pills work 30 days backwards, in
other words a dose today will take care of any exposure in the last month.
If I can get a dose for a larger dog and split that, I do, with the vet's
blessing.  Matter of fact, I do the same with one of my own meds.

Don't call me frugal, I'm just plain cheap!

The Jersey Girls plus Fred
Alice
PW Harley Chick RN CGC, Fred RN CGC,  Molly Bulldozer, Pippi, the bassets;
Annie & Candy, the horses