[Dailydrool] Age and Operations

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Tue Apr 17 05:20:59 PDT 2012

I worry every time our older Bassets get the open cysts especially Daisey
Mae she is 13 or 14 years old and she gets repeated cysts all the time, when
we first got her her mommy died of cancer, she was 10 then and she came to
us with 14 cysts on her body. Her old vet suggested leaving them alone
because of her age. My vet removed them all that was 4 years ago but she
continues to get more and more as she gets older.
I was so worried two months ago when she needed her teeth cleaned and two
cysts removed I had the vet do a preliminary blood test and a chest X Ray to
make sure she would make it through the operation. She did fine so today
when she has an open oozing cyst she is getting removed I am less worried.
This brings me to this point. It is all about the vet you use make sure they
keep a good eye on the older ones before during and after surgery. I used to
know a vet that would operate on a dog then leave them alone in a room to
wake up by themselves, never checking on them, many dogs would die in the
recovery room because no one checked on them.
It is not dangerous to put an older dog under to do an operation as long as
they are kept under the watchfull eye of a good vet and staff.
Many people undergo surgeries in their older years and make it through heart
transplants and all kinds of things it just depends on the type of care the
surgeon gives that helps them make it through the scarey part of recovery...
the same for the dogs. Just my two cents.
By the way we are taking donations for Daiseys operation today and giving a
free Basset charm beaded Bracelet with each ten dollar donation. I can send
pictures. Please donate at http://wmbri.org