[Dailydrool] Hawaii responding

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 14:54:49 PDT 2012

Hi Leslie,
  There is no basset rescue organization in Hawaii. The closest thing we have is 'The Basset Alert Network', whch I coordinate. Folks interested in adopting a basset put their name on an e-mail alert list. Then when a basset becomes available somewhere (usually discovered by the grapevine, local papers, humane society, craigslist, ebay), I send out an e-mail with contact info to everyone on the alert list (which includes basset owners, potential adopters both). and the grapevine goes the other way, and usually the basset finds a home within a day. Bassets are rare here. I do not screen, but let the person giving up the hound screen the persons interested in adopting the hound themselves.
  That being said, there are a few other resources to know about. Dave Wethington, on Oahu, a drooler, is quick to follow up Oahu bassets, as is Kim Slagel, a drooler. I am on the Big Island.
  Arizona Basset Hound Rescue has adopted two of its hounds to Hawaii families in the past year (Kim Slagel and Kathleen Franey on Oahu). Kathleen has done home visits for them.
  So it depends on what you are looking for. Do you know of a basset in need in Hawaii? Has a Hawaiian family contacted you hoping to adopt a basset? Let me know how I can help. Val