[Dailydrool] Bloat scare

Ron Buries rburies at verizon.net
Wed Apr 18 20:31:21 PDT 2012

From: Ron Buries
Date: April 17, 2012 10:27:36 PM PDT
To: dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Subject: Bloat scare

Yesterday I woke up as usual to the jingle of Barney as he shook his head and of course his tags on his collar. This is his usual pattern. Wake up dad I need some early morning loving and breakfast!  I realized it was still dark-thirty out side or around  5:00 a.m. Earlier than usual.. I then looked down at my barndog and noticed he was acting like he was in pain. I reached down to check him out and as I touched his tummy he yelped. I turned on the light and  began to examine him . Every time I examined his tummy he screamed in pain. His tummy was hard but not extended. He was shaking and in pain. I lost my first basset to bloat while on the way to the emerg. vet because I didn't know what was going on until it was to late.I had never heard of bloat and it's dangers. Because of that memory I was not going to take a chance on waiting for my vet to open, I loaded barney down with gas-x and headed for the emerg. vet . They took him in and took x-rays and after about 30 minutes brought barney in and stated that he didn't bloat. I watched barney as he walked in with the Vet. His whole demeanor said he was experiencing pain. As he laid down on the floor he yelped out.  I looked at the Vet and said that's not right. While I was relieved that bloat was eliminated as a possibility, I was still  concerned  about his pain. He said " Well he didn't bloat . Take him home and watch him and if things get worse bring him back". I paid the $ 280.00 and left. This is a well known practice that I have used in the past. They did surgery on barney when he was a year old to repair a deformity in his left leg, and while they are expensive I know that I can count on them 24hrs in an emergency. I was at my vet 30 minutes later. After a detailed examination my vet asked if barney had been playing rough at the dog park, or had any unusual activity. Barney is not a snoopy, he walks the park sniffing everything. No chasing the ball or racing after four leggers  here. We determined that Sat night I took barney on his usual walk and instead of a 1 hr walk it turned into a 2 hr walk.
Barney is now on Rimydil for the next week. It's been 24 hrs and he is still in pain. Not moving much. Just laying on his bed. He is eating well and gets up to go out to do his business, but that's it. I slept next to his bed last night in the den. He had a difficult night, crying out from time to time. He laid on his right side all night. Didn't even try to roll over. Getting ready to sleep on the couch again tonight next to my barndog in case he has another bad night. It's so difficult to watch him suffer and not be able to take the pain away. Barney could sure use some prayers and drool..