[Dailydrool] Flea & tick meds

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Sun Apr 22 15:43:10 PDT 2012

IMO, if you are in any doubt as to whether your dog might have a
reaction to something new, just don't do it. I don't plan to use the
"new" Trifexis, because it does specifically warn against use with dogs
with any history of seizures. Gotta couple of those, plus small,
nervous-type dogs often react to things most dogs don't, so not taking
the chance.

That being said, I must disagree with Bev about ordering online. We
order routinely from established companies (often the same ones the vets
order from) especially Valley Vet Supply, because they carry Advantage
and some others don't, and they DO stand behind the brand product.

My vet sells Frontline in the office (at $17 for a single application),
but not to ME. He knows we order Advantage or Advantix by the 6-pack in
the largest-dog size and decant the liquid into a container and dispense
by syringe according to HIS instructions of # number of cc's (or
fractions thereof) according to the particular dog's weight. Ours run
from 12 lbs. to 90 lbs. This works out to about $6 to $8 per application.

We applied flea med in August of 2011 even though we had seen no fleas
and have seen none since nor applied anything as yet. Or needed to, but
will "just in case" if summer ever finally arrives to stay. (TIP: A
quick and surefire way to check is to spray Adams on the butt just above
the tail -- comb hair backwards, and if your dog has fleas, you will see
them jumping. That area is one of their favorite locations as the dog
can't scratch there and it's difficult even to reach with teeth.)

My vet is the one who advised avoiding Frontline -- it does not work
well or at all anymore and hasn't for a couple of years. Note: There is
a product being sold now at Walmart (Amor or something like that) that
claims to be "as good as Frontline" -- which certainly is the truth,
because that's EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. Just re-named and repackaged. Caveat
emptor.
Riche