[Dailydrool] Trifexis, Frontline et al.

Becky Gering rgering at triad.rr.com
Sun Apr 22 17:57:46 PDT 2012

I'm normally a lurker, but thought I'd chime in on this one with our
experience.

We have a 10-year old basset, 14-year old bagel, and a 7-year old beagle.
My vet told me that the two older girls couldn't go on Trifexis due to their
age -- the dog had to be 7 or under to take it. I never bothered to
question it because we've had some difficulty with flea/tick products, so
I'm assuming he was correct, and adding it as info. Has anyone else heard
this?

We have used Interceptor for HW with all three dogs for years, as I have
rescue dogs coming and going and Interceptor takes care of any worms we
might encounter. I hope we'll be able to continue getting it -- it works
well for us.

As for flea/ticks, we use Frontline and so far it's working. We tried
Promeris about 3-4 years ago, but stopped promptly when the bagel and beagle
reacted adversely to it (difficulty walking, walking into walls, eyes not
focussed) in addition to its really strong odor setting off my daughter's
asthma. (We didn't have the basset at that time.) Our next vet recommended
Vectra 3-D, which we tried because he said Frontline no longer worked. The
basset and bagel had the above reactions, but the beagle was fine. With
both of these trials, the dogs improved quickly once we washed it off. So
we're on Frontline and keeping our fingers crossed.

Drool to all in need,
Becky Gering