[Dailydrool] Update on Jane

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Apr 23 09:56:00 PDT 2012

Since I either forgot to change over to plain text or Verizon just ignored the change, many of you may not have read my post that said Jane was being cranky about eating. It was with great nervousness that I took her into the vet this morning.

Jane didn't like the idea of a vet visit. She never does, though they are very nice to her and have never done anything particularly awful to her, beyond spaying her. (Abner experienced a lot worse and still loved seeing the vets.) When we got to the office, a woman was coming out with a dog in her arms, so I opened the door for her, let her out, and pulled Jane in. As the woman left, Jane stuck her head out the door, trying to escape before I could close it. Our impish hound ended up with her head in the door and everything below her neck in the building. No, she wasn't hurt, just determined.

Well, Jane had lost a few pounds, and at fourteen, that was not to be ignored. So the vet decided to run a bunch of tests on our most senior hound--bloodwork, a bunch of Xrays, and a sonogram too.

The Xrays seem OK--no lumps or bumps showed up, thank God--but her colon shows signs of irritation, so there is definitely something going on. Later today someone will come in and do the sonogram, so maybe we'll know more then. Bloodwork results will probably be in tomorrow, if the usual timing is on course.

Until then, Jane would appreciate some drool being slung her way. She hates the vet's office and will have to be there until this afternoon or even later tonight. And of course we hope she just has some minor alimentary upset, not anything serious.

While they do the sonogram on her colon, they will take a look at her heart too. She was due for a heart sonogram anyway, so I asked them to do it all together.

Oh, and the shots Jane was scheduled to have today are being put off until we know what's going on. That will be another vet visit--dragging her in the door again.

I have been really enjoying the discussion on Frontline and all. But I keep finding myself itching now. Maybe it's because the hounds already have fleas, but I think it's more likely to be some sort of suggestive thing--reading about this may just make me itch. Wonder if that happens to the hounds, too, when we read these posts.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets