[Dailydrool] Meet and greet for new dogs

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Apr 28 09:36:33 PDT 2012

I was pretty amazed that Debbie had so much trouble introducing bassets, since we've done it numerous times and have never had a serious problem. Usually bassets seem to get along well in a pack, so I think it may be the mix of individual dogs Debbie has that makes it difficult.

Nancy had great advice about introductions. I too have always first introduced the most friendly dog, our Jane, who was pack leader for many years. She loves having a large pack and gets on with everyone. Holly, our new pack leader, is not as mellow and is more likely to protect her turf, so she doesn't get the first sniff at the new dog.

I always introduce the dogs one at a time and remove the dogs who have already met the newbie, so the new guy has only one dog to contend with at a time. I keep things as low key as possible.

When I feed our dogs, with or without a newbie, I always separate them. My dogs have always been interested in the other dogs' dishes, and I don't want fighting. Everyone eating in separate rooms tends to solve that problem (assuming you have enough rooms in your house for your pack). Not everyone eats at the same speed, so I protect a slow eater or keep doors closed until the food is gone.

All that being said, when you introduce a new dog to the pack, expect that for a couple of weeks you will experience what I call "jousting." Even with a very mellow dog who is pack leader, this can consist of a lot of humping and some growling turf wars. If you already have more than one dog, the others in the pack will also defend their space, toys, and food and maybe just do some general humping too.This is a sign that the pack order is being set up by the dogs, and that's the way you want it to happen. If you constantly intervene, it will not happen properly, and you will be sorry, since you will forever be breaking up fights. It is very hard to see a new dog take over the top spot, as we did with Jane, but it is the only way to have peace. Actually, I minded it more than Jane, who seemed to prefer peace over the top spot. Though Holly is now top dog, Jane still seems to reserve a few privileges that Holly doesn't argue over.

If you need to break up a fight, have a spray bottle filled with water on hand. Spray the hounds with a stream of water. If that doesn't work, you can take a jacket (hopefully not your newest one) or a towel or some other fabric item to separate them. Usually once they can't see each other, things calm down. Then remove the offending hound immediately.

Be aware too that health issues can affect pack order. When Holly came to us, I didn't realize that Bel was probably completely blind. Bel wandered about the house freely and often ended up in Holly's space because he could not see her. She took this very seriously and was deeply offended, perhaps in part because she is very touchy about her position in the pack. In addition, I was constantly breaking up fights because Bel was my favorite and Holly wanted that position. It upset me that she liked to nip Bel on the nose.

Now that Bel is no longer with us, Holly and Dexter vie for my favors. If I pet one, the other will barge right in, asking for attention. But since Holly was the first here, she seems to feel she has more sway and does not give Dexter a lot of trouble. She has never bitten him, just growled. Of course, Dex is a sweet wimp and cries bloody murder if she so much as looks at him wrong.

I think pack order and introductions may have a lot to do with the individual nature of the dogs involved. That's why, when I get a new hound, I usually ask the rescue to give me a submissive hound. I feel that it's more likely to make for a happy homelife. But Bev is right, the females will usually be the head honchos in the basset world. All the male's we've had were mellow and uninterested in being top hound. Maybe that's why I like them so much!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets