[Dailydrool] vomiting dogs

dzantrofski69 at comcast.net dzantrofski69 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 06:19:28 PDT 2012

I think its sort of funny how when I have a dog question, I first think of the Drool before calling my vet... Anyway, here is my situation.  I have 3 dogs.  They all eat Science Diet and are healthy.  One of my bright ideas was to change their food to Iams because I could get a bigger bag at BJs for less money.  They ate it twice a day as usual for about 3 days and then I noticed someone was vomiting.  I finally figured out which one it was and watched.  He would eat, a couple hours later, vomit it back up and (sorry, I notice this is the gross part) re-eat it again.  Otherwise, acted completely fine, running around the yard, tail up, you would never know there was an issue.  This happened 3 times with one particular dog until I decided, ok, maybe its the food.  However, the other 2 dogs were fine.  I switched this dog back to the little bit of Science Diet I had left and the vomiting stopped.  I kept the other 2 on the Iams.  Yesterday I noticed dog #2 was now doing the same exact thing.  Dog #3 (the basset hound with the iron stomach) has not starting doing this yet.

So my question is... if this was a bad bag of dog food, wouldn't they have all got sick at the same time?  Could it just be a case of a little doggy flu where they are each getting sick individually like kids do?   They seem to be absolutely fine otherwise tho.  I now have 40 lbs of Iams in my dog food bin so I can't return it but I am also not going to continue to feed them that, of course, if thats what is making them vomit.  It was the Iams weight reduction and they were on the Science Diet Light before and I did the gradual switchover like I always do, it wasn't an abrupt change.  Any suggestions/thoughts?

Tina and the crew in MA