[Dailydrool] Pet Insurance

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Fri Apr 13 04:45:15 PDT 2012

A couple of things to keep in mind: you have to make your decision about whether or not to carry pet insurance BEFORE you have a bunch of pre-existing conditions.  As I said, Pets Best has been great about the boys which I insured as 9 week old puppies.  They were terrible about Beaker and Louise, both 4 year old rescues.  Everything that came along was considered pre-existing.  My vet evaluated all the pet insurance companies and in his research he found that Pets Best went up the least as the pet aged, but was a little more up front when they were young.  I wasn't going to take a chance on starting with a cheaper company and then switching as they got older.  As it turned out, it paid off for me with the allergies, ear infections caused by the allergies and the hip dysplasia.

I guess what you have to decide is, can you afford to rack up a $7000 bill and not have insurance? If you can, why waste money on insurance? If you can't and you will feel like you are dying inside to have to put the dog to sleep, maybe you should get the insurance.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn