[Dailydrool] Pet Insurance

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:29:13 PDT 2012

Consumer Reports does an article like that every few years, and they
always tell you that it's better to just invest the amount you'd pay in
premiums, or put it into a savings account. Here's the deal: I pay about
$50 per month for Basil's policy (includes emergency and wellness.)
That's $600 per year. Within 6 months of adopting him, he had his spleen
removed (emergency surgery) plus 3 days of hospitalization. Total cost
was $3,500. Add in the ear infections, UTIs, pancreatitis, arthritis,
and various and sundry other issues, and I figure his bills probably
have come to about $6000 per year, for the past three years. With the
exception of my deductible ($50 per incident), Pet's Best has, without
question, covered every single one of those issues. My policy specifies
they pay 80%, so it wasn't complete (if I had a higher deductible I
could get a policy that would be 100% coverage), but I get reimbursed
for about $4,800 per year. I challenge you to show me a savings account
that will pay out eight times what you put into it.

As always, your mileage may vary, but that's my experience. Insurance is
absolutely worth it if you have a dog with any kind of medical issues.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB