[Dailydrool] Ears and allergies

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Aug 2 09:43:54 PDT 2012

Riette:
Knowing what I know about basset ears, I would not be surprised if you are dealing with allergies. In my experience, bassets are prone to allergies that show up in part as ear infections.

Over the years, I've developed some rules on dealing with ear infections, based on two bassets that have had severe problems.

1. Treat any infection religiously with whatever medication the vet gives you. Missing doses can sometimes cause the body to build up a resistance to the medication, and the drug will not work. So be very good about giving the drugs.
2. If two different drugs do not work, do not waste your time trying out a third. Have the vet do a sensitivity test that will discover the drugs that should work. At this time your vet may also suggest that you do a deep cleaning to get as much of the gook out as possible. If a vet does not suggest something more than offer you a third drug, change vets.
3. This may be the time to see an allergist. If your dog has skin and ear issues together, you are probably dealing with an allergy. An allergist will be able to help you get the right balance of treatments that will stop or at least ameloriate the problem.

The yeast infection is probably not the one you need to worry about. Yeast is easier to deal with than pseudomonas, which is a nasty little bacteria that can build up resistance to drugs and be impossible to get rid of. At this point, the yeast is probably a secondary infection on top of the pseudomonas--this often happens in ear infections, because you end up with damaged tissues that are prone to more infection.
Is Feodor less affected in the winter time? This may mean he has an inhaled allergy that is bothering him. Does eating a certain food make him more prone to having itchy ears? A food allergy could be the problem. Or perhaps both affect him, and you will have to win the battle with a combination of diet and drugs.

When I had allergies, an allergist explained to me that in certain seasons, when all the allergens are high, even someone who is not usually prone to a certain kind of allergen can show signs of being allergic. In my case, a food allergy made me prone to feeling the results of a really bad pollen season, though I did not test as having inhaled allergies. These things interact in us, and I bet it's the same with dogs too.

I have not heard that vitamin C will help your problem, but putting a dollop of yogurt in your hound's food may keep the yeast infection a bit more under control. I use this more as a control than a way to stop a serious infection.

I am not a vet. This is what I have learned from having a number of bassets with various allergies. I hope my experiences help you to organize your thoughts on the subject and find a way to help your little guy.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets